Thursday, August 19, 2010

Household Notebooks

I love them!  As a matter of fact, I am sure that I have made no less than five of them in my time!  I love paper and I love organizing and I love compartmentalizing!  Today I was reading a guest post at Organizing Junkie's blog titled "Making A Household Notebook Work For You" and found it quite helpful in more ways than one.

First of all, her guest blogger, Jessica from Life As MOM, posted some really great printable forms and we all know how much I love forms.  The forms helped me realize how I wanted to reorganize my daily, weekly, etc. routines.

Secondly, her overall topic on how to make it work for you is what really drew me and got me to thinking.  Like I mentioned, I like paper and organizing and things and everything contained therein but we also know that I love my iPhone, my apps and all things technical.  The binders weren't working for me simply because I couldn't carry it around with me everywhere I go - my iPhone, I can.

Mostly I like having a checklist for my daily and weekly routines and after researching several "to do list" apps, I decided that my tasks in Google would work the best.  With Google Tasks I am able to make several lists and, as I have posted before, I can access my list on my phone, easily found by adding a link to my homescreen.So far I have added daily and weekly chores as well as chore lists for both of my boys.  I can check them off as I do them and start all over the next day.


As far as a calendar for weekly, monthly and yearly reminders, I use the calendar that came with my phone and I love it.  Again it syncs with my online Google calendar and anything I type in either calendar appears in the other (make sense?)!

I love ZipList for grocery shopping (online and on my phone).  I can text or email my list to myself or print it from my computer.  One of my favorite functions is that I can put in my recipes or choose some of theirs and if I can add the ingredients to my grocery list with one click.  My hubby likes to see what we are eating for the week so I still print or write that out and put it on the fridge.

What I need an actual binder for the most is a place to keep those endless pieces of paper that come across your desk, kitchen counter, mailbox, etc.  If I print out a recipe, I put it in the binder.  If I get instructions on how to program the coffee maker, in the binder it goes.  I rarely print out "cute stories" but if I did, it would also go in the binder.

So, like Jessica's article encouraged, make your notebook system work for YOU - whether it be a binder, 3x5 cards or your iPhone.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Cameron Henneke said...

Becky -

If you get tired of typing your chores into Google Tasks each week you might check out GQueues (www.gqueues.com), a task manager (I developed) that works with your Google Account, but has all the features that Google Tasks is missing - like repeating tasks! It also has text message reminders and even the ability to assign tasks - so your boys will always know what they should be doing!

-Cameron

August 19, 2010 at 11:52 PM  
Blogger Cameron Henneke said...

Becky -

If you get tired of typing your chores into Google Tasks each week you might check out GQueues (www.gqueues.com), a task manager (I developed) that works with your Google Account, but has all the features that Google Tasks is missing - like repeating tasks! It also has text message reminders and even the ability to assign tasks - so your boys will always know what they should be doing!

-Cameron

August 19, 2010 at 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home